Coffee and walnut cake is a favourite amongst our family. My brother likes neither walnuts nor coffee, yet I have spotted even him go for a helping or two of this cake! I went a little over the top with decorating this cake so of course make less buttercream and totally leave out the ganache if you want to keep this cake more traditional!
For the cake:
- 250g softened butter
- 5 tbsp strong black coffee (cooled)
- 280g self-raising flour
- 250g caster sugar
- ½ tsp baking powder
- 4 eggs
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- a handful of walnuts (finely chopped)
For the buttercream:
- 250g butter
- 500g icing sugar
- 2 tbsp black coffee (cooled)
For the ganache:
- 200g chocolate (I used milk)
- 200ml double cream
- Preheat your oven to 180C and grease up two round cake tins. Cream the butter and caster sugar together until it forms a light paste.
2. Add the eggs one at a time, stirring inbetween. Then, sift in the flour and baking powder and fold in. Combine in the coffee and vanilla essence. Pour equally into the two round tins and pop into the oven for 35-40 mins until fully cooked.
3. While the cake is cooking you may want to make your buttercream. Simply use an electric whisk on a high setting on your butter until it turns light and fluffy. Add in the icing sugar bit by bit to ensure it doesn’t make a massive mess! Lastly, add in your coffee and mix it all in. Make sure you don’t add your buttercream until the cakes have completely cooled or they will melt! Pop your cakes in the fridge for 15-20 mins to help them cool down!
4. To make the ganache all you need to do is combine the chocolate and the cream into a microwave-friendly bowl. Pop into the microwave for 1 min, then stir. Add for another 30 seconds and stir again. Hey presto! Perfect chocolate ganache.
5. All that is left is to ice the cake and drizzle it in ganache! Serve and enjoy!
I hope you enjoyed this recipe! I will make a separate post with more details and pictures on how to make ganache if you would like, just let me know in the comments below!
Love from Evie x